Cushion Cut Diamond
Description of Cushion Cut Diamonds
The cushion cut—also called a pillow cut—is between rectangular-oval and oval, so it can be of varying length-width ratios. Simply put, it is a rectangle or square with rounded corners, but it also engages larger facets and an open culet to display the diamond’s depth.
This openness comes with an added concern for the diamond’s clarity. When purchasing a cushion cut diamond, aim for a high clarity grade. With older diamonds, pay attention to the amount of light reflected in a cushion cut. Modern cushion cut diamonds are not as dull as those created in the 19th century, since jewelers can now use lasers for precision cutting.
While less brilliant than round cut diamonds, well-executed cushion cut diamonds break a ray of white light into the spectrum’s colors.
History of Cushion Cut Diamonds
From 1830 to the end of the 18th century, the cushion cut was the most fashionable diamond cut. It was also called the candlelight cut, as the diamond’s best sparkle was shown in close, romantic candlelight. Now it is considered an antique look.
Celebrities Wearing Cushion Cut Diamond Rings
Ashley Judd (engaged to Dario Franchitti), Britney Spears (4-carat engagement ring from self), Brittany Murphy (6.5-carat, engaged to Simon Monjack), Brooke Shields (engaged to Chris Henchy), Debra Messing (earrings), Nomi Watts (earrings), and Sophia Bush (engaged to Chad Michael Murray), Ashlee Simpson (4-carat engagement ring, set in pav? diamond setting, presented by Pete Wentz).
Trivia for Cushion Cut Diamonds
- Do diamonds glow in the dark? Some do. The Red Cross Diamond is one of those. It’s a 205.07-carat, cushion cut, canary yellow diamond from a rough stone of 375 carats found in a Kimberly mine in 1901. The top facet includes a Maltese cross. After exposure to light, the Red Cross Diamond will emit the absorbed rays, effectively glowing in the dark.
- The cushion diamond known as the Allnatt Diamond is a 101.29-carat, fancy vivid yellow, VS2 clarity diamond named for its former owner, Alfred Ernest Allnatt.