What can my diamond’s certificate tell me?
A diamond’s certificate represents a third-party’s evaluation of the diamond’s condition on a specific date.
It should tell you:
- The inspection date
- Cut style
- Diamond measurements (length, width, and height)
- Carat weight
- Color grade
- Clarity grade
- Additional information the diamond graders found
It might also include:
- Cut grade
- Finish’s polish
- Finish’s symmetry
- Comments from the grader
- Laser inscription
- Notes on enhancement treatments performed on the diamond
- A map of inclusions and/or blemishes
- Clarity characteristics
- Diagram of diamond’s actual proportions
- Photo or diagram of diamond’s “hearts and arrows” pattern
If you plan on paying a third-party to certify your diamond, ask to see a sample certification first. Make certain the proposed certification will cover all of the areas you expect to be included.